Cekodok Pisang – Malaysia’s Best Teatime Snack
Cekodok Pisang, or ‘kodok pisang,’ is deep-fried banana fritters with a ball-like shape that are usually served as teatime treats. It is one of the most classic recipes you will ever come across! Bananas have always been a popular ingredient in many desserts and sweet dishes in Malaysia. As a result, we can say that it can be found in almost every food here in our country. For instance, we can find bananas in the smoothies or shakes, ice creams, pastries, and many more.
Tips for The Best Cekodok Pisang Taste and Texture
Though Cekodok Pisang recipe may appear simple, achieving the ideal caramelised and soft banana centre with a sweet yet bitter crisp outer shell can be quite a challenge. Therefore, here are some tips that you might want to consider when making Cekodok Pisang:
- The right banana type – Pisang Raja is one of them. Try to go for the overripe ones as they are a lot softer and sweeter.
- Marinate the batter – You might want to try marinating the batter for at least 30 minutes before frying.
- Enhance the flavour – Add in a tablespoon of cinnamon powder to help enhance the flavour. Trust us, it is good!
- Get that crunch – For better crunches, add 1 spoonful of butter to the batter and voila! You will notice the crisp is even better.
Cekodok Pisang: The Recipe
Once you have known the trick, now let us start the Cekodok Pisang frying process, step by step. To the ingredients first:
- 100 g plain flour
- 750 g overripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
1. Mix in the banana batter.
- In a bowl, mash the overripe bananas with brown sugar, salt and baking soda! Then, you may add in the flour. Now mix them all well!
- If the batter is too runny, gradually add flour and mix until it reaches your desired consistency.
- And you may want to wait a few minutes for the baking soda to activate before frying.
2. All set, it is frying time!
- Fill in ½ of your pot with vegetable oil and place it over medium heat. Worry not, cooking oil works fine too!
- Just make sure the oil is hot and bubbly enough before frying your Cekodok Pisang.
- Ball up the batter using a spoon, or even more traditional, just use your hands!
- Drop them into the oil slowly, if they are sticky, you may gently push them with another spoon.
- Give them some time to swim in the oil until golden brown.
3. Plate and serve!
- With just 2 simple steps, your Cekodok Pisang is now ready to serve! – You can always eat in on its own, or maybe pair it with tea. Yes! A perfect combo!
Give it A Try!
So, how is the recipe? From now on, do not let the bananas go to waste, okay? The next time they are overripe, just turn them into Cekodok Pisang! Also, you can always play with the flavour and texture of the dish by substituting the bananas with other ingredients. Keep in mind that Cekodok is not just for bananas. It can also be re-created with anchovies, pumpkins, and a variety of other ingredients. Don’t forget to try them out soon!
Disclaimer: The web administrator is not responsible for any of the sender’s comments or posts in the site’s comments section. The sender is solely responsible for any comments or posts made.
For more interesting articles, let’s head onto MakanLokal.com!
Nak makan apa? Makan lokal-lah!
Leave a Comment